Saturday, February 13, 2016

When Your Worlds Collide


To say there is a lot on my plate is an understatement, but I have been praying for guidance and practicing saying "NO." Tonight something really cool happened. With all the projects on my plate, I have been doing tons of reading. I have homework for Stephen Ministry Training (if you don't know what that is, Google it, it is amazing), Lesson plan prep for teaching the training, some Saint John's Bible visio divina on 1 Corinthians 13 (Google that, too) and my personal Lenten journey using Phil Ressler's "40 Things to Give up for Lent and Beyond." ALL these readings and I mean all, collided into one message tonight, that Love is patient. And it is Valentine's Day eve as I type this. Phew, that's a lot to bring all together. Only God could do that.

I spent almost all my day preparing my lesson on "The Art of Listening" to teach tomorrow at Stephen Ministry Training. Which is all about active listening in building a caring relationship that requires patience. Then there was sneaking in the time to do today's lesson in my Lent devotion, "40 Things to Give up for Lent and Beyond" by Phil Ressler. Today for the Saturday after Ash Wednesday, Giving Up Impatience. Which started with being still and quiet with God and then turned into having patience with yourself. Enjoying the journey. Also, being patient with others because we have forgiveness. Patience comes when we are not selfish. Both lessons reference James 1, to be quick to listen and slow to speak. Or as The Message puts it, "to lead with your ears."

Slowing down and taking time to be steady speaks volumes to me, hence the word steadfast. So, along with my Lent devotion, I drew an hour glass. Taking time to listen to God and others is what builds relationships. Patience gives us life. Time and life and people are precious, that is the story I tell people is the reason I have my great grandfather's pocket watch tattooed on the back of my neck, hence the word unconventional.

And finally, early this week I visited our local art museum, The Biggs. They are currently hosting The Saint John's Bible. An amazing, breath taking work of art. I was taking some photos and decided to use the illuminated text of the "Love Chapter" of 1 Corinthians as my social media post for Valentine's Day. Which of course, starts off with 'Love is patient.."

I may not know exactly where all this is leading right now, but I was thoroughly taken aback by how it all connected. Maybe my plate isn't too full. Instead it is a well thought out culinary work of art designed by my Creator.

To see the Saint John's Bible Valentine's Day post, click on my Instagram link to the right. There you will also find the drawings for my 40 things to give up for Lent devotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment